Welcome to Groeschler House
Groeschler House opened in 2014 and provides accomodation for the Centre for the History of the Jews and the Contemporary History in the (Northern German) Region of Friesland / Wilhelmshaven, which is still in an early stage of development. It is located in Jever, Große Wasserpfortstraße 19, the site, where the Jever Synagogue stood until its destruction in 1938. It fills the ground floor of a building from 1954 and preserves some remains of the destroyed synagogue.
Groeschler House is named after the last two leaders of the Jever Jewish community, the brothers Hermann and Julius Groeschler. Hermann was born 1880 in Jever and died 1944 in the concentration camp of Bergen-Belsen. Julius was born 1884, also in Jever, and was murdered in Auschwitz 1944.
Legally responsible for the Groeschler House is the association “Zweckverband Schloss-Museum Jever”. This
organisation was founded by the county of Friesland, the town of Jever and the “Jeverländische Altertums- und Heimatverein e.V.”, a group for the exploration of local history. Manager of the association “Schloss-Museum Jever” is Dr. Antje Sander.
Members of the working group Groeschler House within the “Altertums- und Heimatverein” are volunteers. They take care of the institution and will, together with the association “Schloss-Museum Jever”, develop Groeschler House further. The working group grew out of a project initially started 1979 by the local high school “Mariengymnasium” and tasked with the exploration of Jever’s Nazi past.